Hi there! It's finally warm every day here now, and that means I'm craving all things fresh and simple for meals. On weeknights, it's a marathon to get good food on the table and bottoms in seats at a reasonable hour - so I usually opt for only one component of a dinner that takes more than 15 minutes to prepare, with the rest being assembled in that short time frame! This Monday, that took the form of grilled cheeses, accompanied by sweet potato fries (the time-consuming menu item) and tiger salad.
I know you've heard me ramble about grilled cheese and sweet potato fries before, but let me introduce you to tiger salad! Tiger salad is a cooling and refreshing cucumber salad from Northern China, with a bit of spice and sesame flavor to it. It typically uses lettuce in the place of cilantro, but I have A LOT of cilantro on hand right now - so it got tossed in instead! Cilantro brings a lot of flavor to this dish, and I think I'd prefer it here over lettuce anyways. I also made the addition of carrots, for the sake of using them up and adding more veggies! Get the full recipe below, along with my sweet potato fries recipe.
Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. oregano
- 1 tbs. cumin
- a dash of salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 and slice your sweet potatoes into sticks.
2. Toss raw sweet potatoes in olive oil and your herbs, then arrange on an oiled baking sheet.
3. Roast for 45 minutes, flipping the fries after 15 minutes.
4. Serve warm and enjoy!
- 2 mini cucumbers
- half a carrot
- a handful of cilantro
- 1 tbs. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs. of sesame oil
- 1 tbs. of sambal oelek
- green onions
1. Slice your cucumbers, carrots, and green onions. Mince your cilantro.
2. In your salad bowl, mix your vinegar, oil, and sambal oelek with your veggies.
3. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Thanks for reading, and have a fun Wednesday!