Hi there! As you may know, I'm in the thick of my Whole 30 health reset. It's going swimmingly so far, and I'm feeling much more confident in being able to make healthier choices once those 30 days are up! What I've enjoyed the most so far about this process is letting my guard down when it comes to new flavors and not just sticking to what's comfortable. I'll try most things once, and if it contributes something new to my palette, then all the better!
This mindset is what brought me to today's recipe. I'm always looking for ways to get the trifecta of fruit, veggies, and protein all in one dish, because I'm not big on just eating fruit on its own. Unless it's an apple or banana, it's going into a recipe! So, when I was searching for a way to incorporate the massive amount of strawberries I needed to use up (because a certain little toddlers' tastes change on the daily), the thought of strawberry pico de gallo came to me. I'm a huge fan of pico (it's so fresh!), and strawberries add just enough sweetness to whatever they touch. Perfecto! With the addition of a balsamic vinaigrette, the flavors of this salad balance just right, breathing life into something that could easily be bland. Taste for yourself through the recipe below!
- a large handful of spinach
- grilled chicken
- 5-6 ripe strawberries
- 1/2 cup of pico de gallo (our local grocery stores all stock fresh pico made there on the daily!)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. of lime juice
- 1 tsp. of olive oil
1. Dice your strawberries and mince your chives. Stir these into your pico!
2. Assembly time! Chop up your avocado, and toss together your pico, spinach, and chicken.
3. Whisk together your vinegar, lime juice, and olive oil. Drizzle on top of your salad.
4. Serve with the leftover vinaigrette (if there is any!), and enjoy!