Hi readers! Today, I thought I'd do a short post on how I entertain my toddler, Bailey, during those months where it's just too cold to go to the park. Disclaimer: while none of these tips include letting her watch T.V. and movies, I do let her watch some Spongebob Squarepants at some point during the day out of necessity for some mommy reading time.
Keeping a Toddler Happy - Winter Edition:
- Find a class or activity group that gets them out of the house. Bailey and I go to a Little Gymers playtime on Fridays at our local ARC. It only costs $2 total and it keeps her from going stir crazy.
- Have plenty of washable markers and non-toxic crayons and paint around with some extra big sheets of paper. I've never met a child who doesn't love smothering their hands in paint and wiping it off on paper.
- Play some music! Bailey loves to dance her little heart out at anytime of the day. Any song with a good beat and she's there.
- Get out something they can climb on or into (if you have the room). Bailey's grandparents repurposed a turtle shaped sandbox from Brett's youth into a ball pit for Bailey's Christmas present last year! She loves getting to push all of the balls out.
- Keep all of their books out and on hand. Bailey will sit there and look at each and every one.
- If all else fails, play in the bath for awhile! This is always my go-to if Bailey is grumpy and not wanting to do much of anything. All I have to say is "bath?" and she runs to her bathroom, ready to hop in!
I hope these tips help if you're stuck on what to do all day with you child! On top of these activities, I still try to get her outside for at least 15 minutes each day. Bundled of course! I find that it does wonders for her mood, if she's been inside for the last 4 hours.